Our crew of amazing volunteers are the heartbeat of SJWC and our programs couldn’t run without them! Volunteers provide direct services to women experiencing homelessness in our community and offer their professional expertise to SJWC. If you are interested in joining our community please contact us at (520) 909-3905.
Steps to Volunteer
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation (sign up to the right)
- Fill out a Volunteer Application and agree to a background check and fingerprint clearance card.
- Attend 6 hours of hands-on training. (Training times are Mon-Sat 9:00-12:00 and 12:00-3:00.)
- Design your own schedule to volunteer as much or as little as you like. The following shifts are available Mondays through Saturdays:
• Morning Shift: 8:30 am -11:30 am
• Midday Shift: 11:30 am -2:30 pm
• Afternoon Shift: 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm
• Overnight Shift: 5:30 pm – 7:30 am
Volunteer Orientation Signup
Send us an email
Compassion in Every Shift. Every Day. Every Way.
Bring your compassion to Sister Jose Women’s Center and impact the quality of lives of our treasured Guests in practical and meaningful ways.
Some of the compassionate activities you will be providing, both small and profound, include:
- Cooking and serving warm, nutritious meals in our GATHERING ROOM
- Assisting our Guests in selecting free, seasonal, and appropriate clothing from our SHOP
- Helping our Guests achieve independent PERSONAL CARE through free personal care items, cleaning their clothes, and daily hot showers
- Sorting community donations to select items our guests NEED to be well-fed, warm, clean, and comfortable
- Helping provide a safe, clean, comfortable sleep for our Guests in the OVERNIGHT program
- Ensuring our Guests feel SEEN, RECOGNIZED, VALUED, and RESPECTED through our compassionate interaction with them
- Building a SAFE SPACE for our Guests to experience safety, protection, and dignity off the street
Male Volunteers are greatly appreciated and usually give their time in a variety of ways – helping with outdoor maintenance and landscape, completing odd jobs, helping with special events, or donating their professional skills.
SJWC provides opportunities for several female college students to complete a 135-hour internship every semester. Interns work in both the day and night programs and participate in special events. Many of our interns stay on as volunteers after completing their class because they have found their experience personally fulfilling and have become a part of a nurturing community of women.
Schools and Youth Organizations
SJWC welcomes opportunities for community service projects for young people. Adult supervision is required.
Civic and Faith-based Organizations
Volunteer together, organize donation drives, hold a fundraiser, plan a Day of Giving or help us spread or message to your community. We always welcome opportunities to speak to local organizations.